Recommendations and Guidelines for the
Best Machine Quilting Results
Prepare your Quilt Top
- Make sure the top is flat and square.
- If you need help applying your borders so the quilt is flat and square,check out this free handout: “How to Measure and Sew Straight Borders on your Quilt”
- Clip loose threads, on the front and the back, and check that all seams are secure and pressed in the desired direction.
- Trim any seam allowances that might cause lumps in the quilt.
- Press well (don’t “iron”, which can stretch piecing.)
- If borders are pieced, stay-stitch within the outside seam allowance (straight stitch, about 1/8” from the edge) to make sure seams stay secure during quilting process.
- If quilt is directional or has a top or bottom, safety-pin a note to the top to make sure designs are placed right side up.
- No embellishments. Beads, crystals and the like must be added after quilting.
Prepare the Quilt Backing
- Busy prints make good backing choices.
- Backing must be 6 to 8 inches larger than the quilt top. The larger the top, the more margin is needed.
- Backing must be square. Do not include selvedges in seams as it can cause puckering.
- Seamed/ pieced backs must be flat and with secure seams, just like the top.
- Press well.
Prepare the Batting
- Batting must be 6 to 8 inches larger than the quilt top.
- If you are supplying your own batting, verify that it is of a type suitable for machine quilting. Some high-loft or poor quality battings will not be accepted as they will affect the quality of the quilting. Contact me if you have a question about your batting.
- Packaged batting should be removed from the bag and fluffed in the dryer to remove creases. If pre-shrinking is desired, follow package directions.
- Fold the batting; please do not stuff it back in the bag.
- Binding—if you wish to have your binding attached by machine, prepare your binding of bias or straight strips (whichever you prefer.) Strips 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" inches wide are suggested; seam on the diagonal to measure the perimeter of the quilt plus 12 inches. Press in half lengthwise.
- If you would like to have your binding cut and sewn for you, include one yard of pressed fabric. Any extra will be returned to you.
- If you have a special pattern or photo showing your preferred quilting pattern, please include a copy in the package.
Deliver your Quilt to Scandia Quilt Studio
- In person-- Call or email me for an appointment (651 433-1485 or 612 202-8325/cell, email@example.com.) If you are in the local area, we will arrange a time and place that is mutually convenient.
- By mail-- Print and complete the quilt order form. Pack the top, backing and batting (if you are supplying your own) each folded separately. Use your favorite delivery method (insure if you wish; don’t forget the return address inside and outside of your package.) Ship to: Anne Hurlburt, Scandia Quilt Studio, 14160 236th St N., Scandia, Minnesota 55073.
- When I receive your quilt, I will contact you to discuss quilting designs and the other details of your order. You will receive a written, final price quote. A deposit of 50% of the charges is due before quilting is begun, with the balance on delivery.
- Please see the Customer Service/ Payment Policies page for more information on payment and return shipping options.